Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Sutton Coldfield Town - The Royals app


Match Report - Rushall Olympic 0 - 1 SCTFC

By Alexander Moloney

Mark Sanders reports on the Royals fantastic victory over Rushall Olympic in the Emirates FA Cup 1st round Qualifier replay

A cold and windy Monday night at Dales Lane, saw Sutton take on Rushall for the second time in two days in the replay of the first-round qualifier of the FA cup.

Toothy made one change from Saturday with Reuben coming in for Bakers. The game started where it left off on Saturday with Rushall coming straight at the Sutton defence, a few half chances were created, but Sutton soon had a counter attack after fifteen minutes with Haughton cutting inside the defender and the resulting shot cannoned off the defender for a corner.

Nadat later battled one on one with the defender to win Sutton another corner, but the ball in was headed straight over the crossbar.

Dawes won Sutton a free kick but his resulting shot was caught by Slinn, he then fumbled the ball but sadly for Sutton, they were unable to take advantage of Rushall’s mistake.

Letford tried his luck with a run into the Rushall box, but his shot was deflected for a corner. Sutton were putting pressure on the Rushall defence now, and from the corner kick Sutton were awarded a penalty for one of our players being pulled in the penalty area. Smith stepped up to the penalty spot and GOAL!, hit a sweet strike to the right corner of the netting; the goalkeeper had no chance. 0-1 Sutton.

The second half started well for Sutton as Haughton ran onto a through ball, only to see his fierce shot blocked and cleared by the Rushall defence.

Tyler Little came closest to a goal for Rushall when he whipped a low hard ball in across the penalty area. It just missed the far post, and luckily for Sutton, all of the Rushall attack. Sammons then took a shot which curled past the Sutton defence and Gwilliams was on hand to pluck it out the air.

On the 59th minute Dell replaced Hearsey, and a through ball saw Nadat run on with just the keeper to beat; the move was ruled offside.

Later, Lund ran down the wing, beat Dawes and put a glorious cross in for Richards who headed it wide.

Sutton were defending a lot in the second half, but Rushall just couldn’t break the Sutton lads down. A Sutton attack saw Haughton run into the box but the Rushall defenders last ditch tackle left Omar injured. He had to come off and was replaced by Daniel Lomas.

Rushall had nothing to lose now, and threw everything at Sutton to try and get back into the game. Sammons curled a shot wide of the post and Richards fired one in low, but again, Gwilliams was there to keep Sutton a clean sheet. A rare Sutton second half attack saw Letford go on another of his mazy runs and beat several players, only to lose the ball inside the box. It then went straight back down the Sutton end, with Rushall firing a shot across the goal, but the Sutton defence stood resolute to win the game by the single goal.

FT 0 : 1

The final whistle was a welcome relief for the lads. They had collectively put a shift and a half in, working hard to stop any significant Rushall attack. The boys can be proud of this defensive performance, and although the game was not as pretty as Saturdays, sometimes, and especially in the F.A cup, you have to grind out the result.


Updated 16:04 - 11 Sep 2018 by Alexander Moloney

Where next?

Player news Jordan Nadat has today left the club.
Have a game of Pool in The Royal's Bar! The pool table continues to be a hugely popular past time in the club!


Loading comments

Sun 26 May
Ladies (Development) Kewford Eagles
League 0 – 3
Sat 18 May
Under 16 JPL Torquay United
Cup 0 – 4

News sponsors


Club sponsors